ITINERARY: A #CatskillsLove visit to Arkville, NY
We asked local residents to put together ideas for #CatskillsLove outings in the area. This itinerary includes things to do along State Road Hwy. 28 in the village of Arkville, NY.
If a local sends you to “Jacks” for breakfast or lunch, it’s actually Arkville Bread and Breakfast and you will place your food order inside a charming red caboose at 43285 NY-28.
2. Across the street from Jack’s is Just Shop Boutique, a boutique discount store in the Catskills where you can shop for women's, men's, kid's, gifts and goods for the home. You can’t miss the famous pink flamingos out front.
3. Just up the road is the train station where you can step aboard a vintage railcar for a ride along the quiet streams and rolling hills that join the charming villages around Arkville. The Delaware & Ulster Railroad offers scenic train rides through the legendary Catskill Mountains. With a full line up of events, there’s something for everyone including fall foliage tours, seasonal kids-themed rides, on-board dining and private event opportunities.
4. Within walking distance of the train station is the Catskill Center Building. The Catskill Center’s mission is to protect and foster the environmental, cultural and economic well-being of the Catskill region and has been doing so since 1969. The building at 43355 Route 28 also houses the Erpf Gallery where you can stop in to view rotating exhibitions by local artists.
5. Just a few steps away is the Union Grove Distillery, one of New York’s rising stars in the world of craft spirits. You may have read about them in national publications, but stop by the distillery and you will likely get a personal tour and samples from one of the owners, Brian Mulder and Todd Pascarella . The bar offers tastings of their award winning Vly Creek Vodka and unique cocktails made with pure Tree Juice Maple Syrup produced just a few miles from the distillery. Check their social media pages for fun events and live music schedules, too!
7. The newest addition to the Arkville scene is The Ark Bowl & BBQ. The bowling alley is renovated and open for daytime and evening bowling. Once the full renovations are complete the facility will house a full bar, restaurant and music club, but it’s already a welcome arrival to the list of local activities.
Set sail to shop small and support these amazing businesses in Arkville and don’t forget to tag #CatskillsLove!